Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Just A Word About "Maille" from jCASE

I am making some changes to this Blogsite in the hope that it will be a bit more easily used. I will no longer mark the Maille pieces SOLD as I have in the past. The Maille is the one area where duplication is not particularly a problem. Each piece may follow a certain pattern, but the clasps and toggles and gauge will make each one unique. If you see a piece of maille on the site you would enjoy having, simply contact me and I will e-mail you a picture of the current piece I have in that pattern and it's closure. If you agree it is what you want, then we will complete the transaction.

Maille is defined as a mesh of net, flexible body armour made of small metal chains of rings or scales used for protection in battle. European maille (or mail) was designed for ultimate protection from spears, lances and swords, etc. Japanese Maille was designed more for embellishment for royalty on robes, gowns and festive attire.
The Maille made today for jewelry is derived from these ancient patterns and, in many cases, the weaves are the very same. The patterns are endless and can be found from the very simplest one in one to the immensely complex. Maille is sturdy and comfortable to wear and has found it's place in the elegance of today's jewelry world. The term "chain-maille" is incorrect as it is redundant by definition of maille.
All of my Maille is made completely by hand. I make each of the many hundreds of rings needed for each piece and use only the finest in 925 Sterling Silver in my work. All the clasps and toggles are 925 as well whether I have made or purchased them. All pieces are finished with the signature jCASEWORKS logo tag.
My goal is to create elegant one of a kind pieces of heirloom quality, providing many years of elegant wear for the lady or gentleman who choses a piece of jCASEWORKS jewelry. Maille is elegant in larger size gauges for gentlemen. Please browse to your heart's content and feel free to contact me at jcaseworks@yahoo.com.